First Baptist Church (Est. 1827) is situated in historic West Townsend Village, on the bank of the Squannacook river. Behind the building is the Amadon Memorial Prayer Garden. Overlooking the river, the woodland sanctuary is a quiet refuge for prayer and worship. Memorial gifts to develop and maintain the garden have been given in loving memory of Richard H. Amadon, G. Marion Amadon, and Donald C. Amadon
First Baptist Church of West Townsend
Seeking to Grow As Followers of Jesus Christ
This quiet place of prayer on the riverbank behind the church was dedicated to the Lord in 2001 in memory of Richard Amadon. Dickie was a hard-working family man who gave of himself generously to help others in the community, especially as a devoted firefighter.
In February of 2011 the Amadon family, the Townsend Fire / EMS, and the community of Townsend suffered another great loss with the passing of Donny Amadon, Dickie's son.
The Amadon Memorial Prayer Garden
Over the past eleven years many people have come to the garden to pray. This place has ministered peace and comfort to many souls. Now we have brought the ministry of the Prayer Garden to the next level – quite literally. In Donny’s memory, we have engaged A.T. Leonard, landscape designer, to integrate the upper level at the corner of the parking lot into the Garden as a viewing platform so that those with limited mobility can participate in the services. The design will also provide for more native plants to replace the invasives we are continually removing, and to enhance the natural beauty of the garden. Our prayer is that this place will continue to be a sanctuary both for wildlife and for hearts seeking a quiet place to meet with God in the midst of His Creation.